Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It Is Well

Rivers seem so calm and relaxing nowadays in our automobile-centric society. But once upon forever before the interstates, those smooth and gentle rivers were the lifeblood of transportation and commerce. Traffic on the rivers WAS the traffic. The river supported humanity and nature alike.

When peace like a river

Flows through me with the stuff of life itself

When sorrow like sea billows roll

Those waves of destructive regeneration pour over me. When grief chokes my spirit

Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me

After rushing winds and pouring rains, after still small voices,

To say, it is well with my soul.

My body may break and my mind my crumble but with my soul

It is well.

Oh, lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight!

When my commitment to the practice of wellness shall connect with sacred wholeness, holiness.

No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life, Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Blessed hope, blessed rest for my soul.

Mahalia Jackson sings.

the usual backstory on this song

a fuller and more interesting back story on the songwriter than I've read before


No comments:

Post a Comment